[Word count: 773. Approximate read time: 3 minutes]
The Bible documents well the story of Jesus’ birth, some scant details about him as a pre-teen, and multiple accounts of the last years of his life. But I’ve always wondered about the little details of Jesus’ life that didn’t make it into the Bible.
I don’t much care whether Jesus was the long-haired white guy seen in most photos. What he did overshadows how he may have looked. But I have this fantasy that whatever Jesus’ physical appearance was when he walked the Earth looked like the facial average of every person who has lived or will ever.
That way Jesus wouldn’t represent any one race or bloodline and no one gets to claim superiority. He would just look like a cross between my face and yours… and your boss’s… and every other face. If we looked at him, we would just instinctively understand that he is connected to us and we him, making us all connected to each other.
For the last 3 years, I’ve wondered the strangest thing. Do you think Jesus enjoys Michael Jackson’s music as much as I do? Just like Hebrews 4:15 (NKJV) says “we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses,” I imagine that Jesus is able to share in our joys. I don’t know about your tastes, but when “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough” comes on and I hear that first ecstatic “you make me feel like… WHOO!” I just get happy. Who doesn’t? Somehow, I think if Jesus walked the Earth today and that song came on at the family reunion, he might just come do the Electric Slide with us.
Because sex is viewed as dirty, it may offend some to wonder about Jesus’ relationship with it. But he was fully God and fully human. I doubt he was excused from puberty. I wonder how he, in his divinity, navigated the desire to procreate. I never went for Bible scholars using Onan as a justification for why masturbation is wrong. I’d just like to know how Jesus dealt with morning wood as a teenager. That’s all I’ll say on the subject.
“Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.” —1 Corinthians 15:28
I’ll admit I really have no idea what 1 Corinthians 15:28 means in context. But for a long time, I’ve had this idea that God being “all in all” is very literal. What if God is everything and is also hidden inside everything? What if He physically dwells in every invisible, immeasurable, and infinitesimal space? In between the quarks… that make up the protons… that make up the atoms… that make up everything, everyone, everywhere.
What if he smirks at us trying to figure him out. What if every current in the ocean is a thought about the plans he has for us? What if everything we can see and can’t; all that is, was, and will be; and every possibility that never was… are each just little pieces that comprise God’s unfathomable grandeur?
And the Lord said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them. 7 Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.” 8 So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they ceased building the city.
Another totally unfounded belief I have: Just like God scattered and confounded the speech of the people building the Tower of Babel, I think it would be only fitting if at the very moment before man discovers time travel and how to navigate the 4th dimension, Jesus breaks through the clouds chuckling “Ha! Too late! I win! Good try though, guys. Bring it in. Game’s over.”
There’s a belief out there that we only use 10% of our brains and our subconscious remains largely untapped. I’ve often imagined that the remaining 90% is where God hides. When God says we are his temple, maybe that 90% is the main tabernacle, a spiritual Wi-Fi network where we can access the Divine as well as each other, even if we’re not touching. Maybe that’s how prayer works.
Do you have any random, silly, thoughtful, insightful “wonder ifs” about Jesus? Leave a comment below! Maybe someone on the internet is thinking the same thing you are.
- Does It Matter If Jesus Was Married?(learningtobeblog.wordpress.com)
- No One Except Jesus (jesuscarriesme.com)